10 December 2015

Christmas Quilts and A Little Happy Simple Squares Quilt Pattern


I have for some months been feeling the 'need' for a Christmas quilt in my life.  Christmas fabrics start arriving for the shop in May and dare I say, we have already started ordering Christmas fabrics for 2016!   I made this little one early this year using French Generals Joyeux Noel using the Fresh Cut Pines pattern from Sherri Falls, fabulous book Winter Wonderland.  It's such a lovely book, full of really gorgeous patterns (which of course would look amazing in non Christmas fabrics!)   I tried not to take offence when Andy (my husband) said it was the nicest quilt I had ever made...... he swiftly backed this up with "not that I don't like your other quilts, it's just this one isn't as flowery as usual" ..... I'm thinking it was a compliment...right?!

Any how, mum had reserved this one for herself so my 'need' for a Christmas quilt still remained unfulfilled.  Then last month, we had a restock of Elea Lutz gorgeous Christmas range Little Joys, so I swiftly cut a selection of fat quarters to come home with me.  Time constraints meant that I needed to keep it simple, and lets face it the fabric is soooooo gorgeous I wanted it to be the star of the show.  I contemplated 4 or 9 patches, surrounded with sashing, but then had a complete change of plan and went for an even more simple layout 196 squares, surrounded by borders and cornerstones.  I love it.....here it is........

I backed it using a super soft Stof Ginghams... plus they are extra wide, so no need to join lengths....win win.  The binding is the plaid from Hazel, which picks up on the greens in Little Joys perfectly.  I can not wait to snuggle under this one in the holidays and I know it will bring much pleasure for many Christmases to come!


If you would like to make your own Simple Squares quilt, I've written a FREE 'little happy' pattern which you can find HERE.  Any problems viewing it, just get in touch and I'll email the PDF to you.


In other news......if you're a fan of Little Joys and Elea's previous collection Milk, Sugar and Flower.....rather excitingly Elea has both a new collection called Strawberry Biscuit due April/May 2016

 and also a delightful new book Pretty Playtime Quilts.  

We will (of course!) be stocking ALL the fabrics from the collection and the book, which can pre-ordered, pop me a message if you would like to do so.

I hope that you're all finding time to do some Christmas crafting.... I'm so looking forward to the school holidays and doing some festive making with Poppy and Jamie!  First though, there is the little matter of a Movie Birthday party to arrange to celebrate Poppy's 8th Birthday.

Back soon!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment, it really does make my day! If you have a question, please do ask away and I will do my very best to answer. Sarah xo